Thursday, June 11, 2009

Church, Nation, Injustice...

I know, it's been a while...

So I have been thinking about the talk that seems to have accelerated about our Country not being a Cristian nation any longer, has it concerned you at all? Really, my thinking is that we have not been a Christian nation for a long, long time if ever we were one. I do believe that our nation was founded on Biblical principles but as a nation, a people, have we been doing the works of Jesus? Clearly the answer is "no". If we had been, there is no way we would be where we are today. We didn't get here over night. This is making more ill the more I think of it. We are the most prosperous people in the world. When the least wealthy in our land would be considered rich in other parts of the world we know we have an issue.

It appears to me that the church has become part of the problem though. We have become the consumer, part of the indulgent society. We use our faith for bigger houses, nicer cars, more clothes... You know, more stuff for me. Of course while being sure to donate our 10% to our local church. Though we have become part of the problem, I believe we ARE the solution, NOT the government.

The good news is, we as Christ followers have an amazing opportunity to make wrongs right. There truly is so much injustice in the world and even in our own back yards that we can make a difference. With such huge problems going on in the world today you think, "I am just one person, how can I make a difference?" I am reminded of Zach Bonner from Tampa, Florida. Zach, at age 7 pulled his little red wagon around his neighborhood collecting water for victims of Hurricane Charlie, he ended up collecting 27 pick up truck loads. Once he began making wrongs right, he couldn't stop. Zach started his own non-profit charity called the Little Red Wagon Foundation and has gone on to push for awareness of homeless children in America. This started with one 7 year old boy and a wagon. 

What is your little red wagon? What does your heart cry for?

There honestly should be no need at all for government programs for the homeless, handicapped, child care, disaster relief, food stamps, housing, etc. if the church was doing it's part. So rather than rail on the fact that I don't believe we are a Christian nation and think that it is up to our government to determine that it is, I think we as the church should do our part in our own sphere of influence.

One of our Pastor's the other day was about to enter a store when she saw a homeless person out front. She stopped to talk to her and asked her what she needed. She said she needed some shoes. The Pastor took her inside the store and bought her a pair of shoes right then and gave her money for lunch. I am praying that I can live this way.

I want to live in the moment, not be in such a hurry that I can't stop for a moment and talk to a stranger that might need some help and then offer it. Sure, maybe it is an inconvenience, but think of what has been given for you, but not only you, for this stranger too. Christ, for the joy set before Him endured the cross, not terribly convenient.

Let me hear your thoughts... I'm just rambling...


3 comments:

Christy Angel said...

You may be rambling...but at least you are rambling sense! :) Christy

Lynn Marie Cherry said...

Let's remember to buy some flip-flops and towels before we go to Shoreline East next Saturday! I so love your heart baby! It is one of the first things I fell in love with...your heart and your yummy lips...mmmmm

L A said...

Thought provoking. Very Nice!