Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Amazing Boy

Every night I pray for my boys I end the prayer with "Thank you for making Michael/Daniel a Winner, a Leader, and a World Changer." One night Daniel asked me about this phrase, where it came from and what it means. I love that.

You are a winner, no matter whether you actually win at something or lose at something, you are a winner, in my eyes and in God's eyes, you are a winner.

You are a leader, you have an opportunity every day to lead people. God has given you this ability to influence people for good, lead them. You don't have to follow what others are doing, you can create a new way - lead.

You are a world changer, even at your young age there are things inside of you that this world needs and God has a Divine plan and purpose that He is working in you now. In the class room, on the ball field, or where ever you may be, that is your world and you make a difference.

I see these things working in my sons lives. I tell them all the time "I want to be like you when I grow up." I love to see what God is doing in their lives.

So yesterday, Daniel our 8 year old, had one of those days for sure. 

He has a classmate at school that challenges him and others. Daniel sits at their table now. He is being asked questions by them all the time he says, so I asked him how he handles it. He said he just helps them, doesn't give them the answers but helps them on how to do it. Loves them.

Later that day our whole family was at the grocery store, Lynn went inside and the boys and I stayed in the van. A girl came up to the van and asked for money, she was out of a job and needed some food. I of course said "sorry, I have no cash", she apologized and moved on. Daniel quickly said "but dad, we have all those granola bars we got for the homeless, you should give her those" (did I say I want to be like him when I grow up?). Well, it was too late she was gone. Then Lynn calls me because she can't find where I parked and I hear this same girl come up to Lynn and ask for money, Lynn says "hang on babe" while she gets some money out of her wallet to give to her. When Lynn gets back to the van Daniel says "mom, we've got those granola bars" so Lynn gets some granola bars and goes and finds her. Mean while I feel like a complete schmuck. I have some growing to do. Lord, forgive me for being such a cynic.

And still later that same day Lynn and Daniel deliver dinner to an elderly couple where the gentleman just had surgery. The plan was to just drop off the food and come back home but they stayed for a while. Daniel had the opportunity to entertain them, ask them questions and answer some questions too. I am sure there was much laughter as well. I wonder when the last time is they had a young boy like that communicate such value and love.

God, I thank you for making my sons winners, leaders and world changers. I really do want to be more like them when I grow up, help me to grow. Thank you for using my sons to teach me.

3 comments:

Lynn Marie Cherry said...

Honey - what a beautiful story. He is such a special boy! Thank you for praying for them and diligently speaking words of life over them! They feel it!

Anonymous said...

David,
I have looked at your blog in the past and haven't seen any new updates. I decided this morning to see if Lynn or you added anything new. I loved your story. Out of the mouth of babes, right! You do a great job of writing you should add more of you thoughts.
I think there are days we all feel like smucks:)
Have a good one,
Mom S

Heck said...

So you felt like a "schmuck", big deal. Because of how you've been raising your son he was able not only act like a "mini" Christ, but act like you would of. Your son is a reflection of God because of your actions and teachings. You're awesome man!