Monday, October 19, 2009

Enemy of Average

Have you ever thought you are just average? I am sure we can say that about many things in our own personal lives. Perhaps I am an average golfer, or an average housekeeper, or an average driver, or average weight, or... The list could go on and on.



Here is a quote from John Mason's book "An Enemy Called Average"

"Mediocrity is a region bounded on the North by compromise, on the South by indecision, on the East by past thinking, and on the West by a lack of vision"



There are some things in life I am okay to be "average" in. Honestly, to be an average golfer would be a step up for me, but there are some areas of my life that I can not be satisfied with average. There are areas that are just too important in this life to be average.



One area is my professional life. I have been given the opportunity to lead a group of folks at a local Church here in Austin, Texas in the technical arena. One way to look at the technical side of things is that you are there to only support the "artist" whether that be the musician, the producer, etc. I have found that is certainly part of the occupation but even more than that I believe God has placed within each of these "techies" gifts that He desires to use. There are stories to be told that can only be told through them. With our video team, our mission is to find what Jesus is up to and capture it to tell of His greatness. We could settle to only do the tasks that are handed down like an average team but no, we will not settle for average.



A.W. Tozer is quoted: "Refuse to be average, let your heart soar as high as it will"



Another area that finally hit me was in marriage. I know many would look at my marriage and say "your marriage is not average", but when you know it could be better, are you settling? So Lynn and I decided to dive in again and do some more hard work and have a marriage that will soar.



I'll close with one last quote from Henry Louis Mencken: "The average man doesn't want to be free. He wants to be safe"

No comments: